Hello, my name is Mrs Richards and I am the teacher in Class 1. I have worked at St Andrew’s Primary School for 2 years. I worked in class 4 during my first year as an NQT and last year I began my journey in year 1 as an RQT. I was a TA and then HLTA before I became a teacher. In addition to teaching Year 1, I am the lead teacher in PE, PSHE and Relationship Education.
As well as these subjects, I am passionate about triathlon, baking, reading and Art. I love to bake sweet treats, read as much as I can at home, take photographs and support my children through their love and involvement in Triathlon (well mostly being their taxi, support crew and nutritionist).
I have high expectations of the children in my class and expect that they follow the class and school charters, while being respectful to all members of our school community.
My aim is for every child in my class to be happy and confident within their learning environment, explore their interests, successfully learn through play, use continuous provision indoors and outdoors to explore the year 1 curriculum following their own interests, be problem solvers, confidently show their individuality, be their own person and be proud of who they are, be outside in all weathers and question everything.
Also in my class, Mrs Attle works with the children, offering support in continuous provision and in all curriculum areas.
In Class 1, children will learn
- To count in 2’s, 5’s and 10’s
- Literacy eg capital letters, full stops, question marks and exclamation marks.
- Read all 40+ phonic sounds speedily.
- Explore all of the foundation subjects through a hands-on approach where they take the learning forward through being inquisitive.
For homework, the children in my class will need to:
- Read (books and phonics) at least three times a week
- Number bonds and 2, 5 and 10 x tables
- Letterjoin in Spring term
- Year 1 Common Exception Words
- Other spelling patterns that the children need to be able to use by the end of year 1.
Should you need any other information whilst your child is in Class 1 please don’t hesitate to contact me on Class Dojo or make an appointment to come and see me.
Story read by Mrs Richards April2020